Jeffrey M. Cooper
Jeffrey Cooper has dedicated his career to representing everyday people who have been injured by the improper actions or negligence of others. He feels strongly about people's right to compensation when their health or property has been wrongfully taken from them. He believes that without trial lawyers willing to stand up for this right on a case by case basis we are all at risk of losing it.
For as long as Jeff can remember he has enjoyed the challenge of competition. He grew up admiring his father who worked tirelessly as a courtroom lawyer and knew he wanted to follow in his footsteps. As Jeff developed a better understanding about how civil lawsuits work he gained a greater appreciation for the type of lawyer willing to risk everything to stand up for regular people injured by corporations, insurance companies and governmental entities.
Jeff has won large verdicts and negotiated substantial settlements for his clients in difficult cases including motor vehicle and medical malpractice matters. In Jeff's very first trial after graduating law school he received a verdict for a woman who was injured as a pedestrian that was more than ten times what the insurance company offered prior to trial. That experience taught Jeff two important things that still apply today: 1) juries are the great equalizer and the community's guide to what is just irrespective of wealth or status; and 2) a plaintiff's attorney can make an important difference in a person's life.
Some examples of Jeff's jury verdicts and settlements over the years include:
- $4,200,000 Medical malpractice verdict for his fifty-two-year-old male client who suffered a stroke due to poor preoperative planning prior to routine surgery;
- $2,500,000 Medical malpractice settlement for his forty-five-year-old female client and mother of three who died because of a respiratory therapist's negligent removal of a breathing tube;
- $2,400,000 Traffic crash verdict for his fifty-year-old male client who was tragically killed by a drunk driver while riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle on back roads; and
- $2,000,000 Medical malpractice settlement for his fifty-four-year-old male client who suffered urological problems with loss of erections due to failure to diagnose prostate cancer.
Jeff has also tried several challenging cases for his clients who were offered nothing prior to trial and has received verdicts including $330,000 in a municipal stop sign case, $250,000 in a medical malpractice case, $175,000 in a soft-tissue minor impact motor vehicle case and $98,000 in a pedestrian case.
Like many lawyers who stand up for the rights of the injured, Jeff is proud of his past accomplishments but understands that with each and every one someone has paid a hefty price. He understands that past results are in the past, and what really matters is what he can do for a client in the future. Jeff does not believe that one's success as a trial lawyer should be measured by the amount of millions recovered or the number of billboards obtained. The reality is that many people with smaller cases suffer real harm everyday and are just as worthy of quality representation as everybody else.
Everyday Jeff strives to improve as a trial lawyer. He is motivated by his deep desire not to let his clients down. He spends a lot of time reading about trial technique and learning from many of the Masters who came before him in order to provide his clients with the highest quality representation he is capable of.
Jeff has been recognized by SuperLawyers for many years, is top rated by AVVO, is recognized as a Top 100 National Trial Lawyer, and is a member of ABOTA as well as CTLA, ALJ, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and other organizations.
- Personal Injury
- Super Lawyers
- AVVO highest rated 10.0
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Connecticut Top 40 Litigation Lawyer
- Connecticut, 2002
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 2005
- Quinnipiac University School of Law, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- J.D. - 2001
- Trinity College
- B.A. - 1999
- New Haven County Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
Current Employment Position